Failte Ireland is the National Tourism Development Authority whose role is to promote Irish Tourism at home and abroad.
In order to assist its tourism promotion activities, Failte Ireland decided to create a web-site www.discoverireland.ie with an online map system that would enable potential visitors to:
- View on a map places of interest in Ireland.
- View details of different accommodation types across the state and to see exactly where they were located.
- Plan their journey from any start point to any destination including any way points en route.
Incorporating digital mapping data from Ordnance Survey, the Geodirectory and routing software, Failte Ireland achieved their objectives of displaying highly interactive and information maps which allow users to search by location, by activity, by accommodation preference choice or by price band.
- A highly successful initiative, there are now over 200,000 maps downloaded from the site each month.
- Users can book accommodation on-line based on the mapping information provided.
- Plannned improvements include the inclusion of more Ordance Survey Ireland mapping data such as the Discovery Series, Islands, Lakes and Mountains.
- Walking and cycle routes will be displayed shortly.
OSi Data Bases employed:
- Large Scale Mapping.
- Small and Medium Scales Mapping.