The Freedom of Information (FOI) Acts provides that from 21st April 1998 every person has a right to:
- Access official records held by Government Departments and Public Bodies and not otherwise publicly available.
- Have personal information corrected and updated where such information is incomplete, incorrect or misleading,
- Be given a reason for decisions affecting oneself.
The following records come under the scope of the FOI Acts:
- Personal records regardless of when created
- All other records created after 21st April 1998
Routinely available information
Ordnance Survey Ireland currently makes information routinely available to the public in relation to its functions and activities.
General information can be found on the OSi website and in OSi’s Annual Reports and Strategy Statements which are on the website.
Specific queries should be sent to OSi Customer Services, Phoenix Park, Dublin 8, or by
e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications under the FOI Act
Applications for information under the FOI Act should be addressed to
Freedom of Information Officer
Ordnance Survey Ireland
Tele 01 8025301
- Your application should be in writing.
- You should indicate that your application is being made under the Freedom of Information Act.
- You should give as much detail as possible to enable staff of the organisation to identify the record. If you have difficulty in identifying the precise records which you require, staff within the organisation will be happy to assist you in preparing your request.
- You should also include a daytime telephone number so that you can be contacted if it is necessary to clarify details of your request.
Persons who are unable to read, print and/or write due to a disability will be afforded every assistance by the staff of OSi to exercise their rights under the FOI Act.
Generally OSi will deal with a FOI request within 4 weeks. You may seek an internal review of the decision if you are dissatisfied with the initial decision or did not receive a reply within 4 weeks of your initial application.
If still dissatisfied following completion of the internal review, you may seek an independent review of the decision from the Information Commissioner.
There are no charges for a request for personal information or for an initial request, however fees may be charged for certain categories of request as set out below:
€30 – Internal Review fee (non personal information)
€10 – Internal Review fee (Medical Card Holders)
€50 – Appeals to Information Commissioner
€15 – Appeals to Information Commissioner (Medical Card Holders)
€20 per hour for search and retrieval where that time exceeds 5 hours
For more detailed information on FOI contact the FOI Officer (OSi) on 01 8025301, email email@example.com or visit the FOI website www.foi.gov.ie